Interactive Highway Safety Design Model (IHSDM)
Welcome to the Interactive Highway Safety Design Model (IHSDM) software download web site.
IHSDM 2020 Release
The IHSDM 2020 Release (version 16.0.0; September 30, 2020) is now available!
IHSDM 2020 enhancements will assist users in entering and editing data, and provide more flexibility in performing Crash Prediction evaluations, including:
• The ability to conduct a standalone evaluation of an intersection.
• The option to include/exclude individual intersections when conducting an evaluation of a highway.
• A “Use Reverse Stationing” option for one-way highways: for ramps/C-D roads that are stationed in a direction opposite to the HSM definition, this option automatically reverses the stationing (internally) of the data elements.
Through this site you can complete the required registration process and, upon approval, download IHSDM. (Existing registered users, follow the “Download Login” link to access this update. New users, click on the “Download Registration” link.)
The IHSDM - HSM Predictive Method 2020 Release includes five evaluation modules: Crash Prediction, Policy Review, Design Consistency, Traffic Analysis, and Driver/Vehicle. To the extent possible, the Crash Prediction Module (CPM) includes a faithful implementation of Part C (Predictive Method) of AASHTO's 1st Edition Highway Safety Manual for evaluating rural 2-lane highways, rural multilane highways, and urban/suburban arterials, as well as HSM 2014 Supplement materials on freeway segments and freeway ramps/interchanges, and prediction methods for roundabouts and 6+ lane and 1-way urban/suburban arterials (developed under NCHRP Project 17-70 and NCHRP Project 17-58, respectively, and intended for inclusion in the future 2nd Edition HSM). For more information on IHSDM, visit FHWA's general IHSDM website and view the Every Day Counts (EDC) flyer describing IHSDM and how it supports FHWA's Data-Driven Safety Analysis (DDSA) initiative.
See Release Notes for the IHSDM 2020 Release for more details on enhancements. Please note: The IHSDM 2020 Release can be installed over 2011 and later versions of IHSDM.
Some users may experience a "Windows Defender" screen that pops-up when they attempt to install the software. If this occurs, please click here for instructions.
IHSDM 2020 Webinar
FHWA will host a webinar on October 28 from 1:00 to 2:30 pm Eastern to introduce the upcoming IHSDM 2020 Release.
IHSDM User Group
FHWA is very pleased to announce the establishment of an IHSDM User Group. A User Group web meeting was held on June 5, 2019. Visit the IHSDM User Group page to access a recording of the meeting.
Web Site Content
The web site is organized into the following pages:
- IHSDM User Group - Information regarding the IHSDM User Group
- Current Events - Notices of new software releases, training, and major updates to this web site.
- Web Conferences - IHSDM-related web conferences
- User Applications - Summaries of selected IHSDM user applications
- Obtaining IHSDM - Overview of obtaining and installing IHSDM.
- Download Registration - The steps and online form needed to register to download the software.
- Download Login - Download login page.
- Highway Data - Samples and sources of data required by IHSDM.
- Software Testing Feedback - The types of input the FHWA is seeking from users.
- Technical Support - Support options and mechanisms available for IHSDM.
- Frequently Asked Questions - a list of frequently asked questions related to the IHSDM software.
- Credits - The sponsors and developers of the IHSDM software.
- External Links - Links to other web sites of interest to IHSDM users.
You can learn more about the functionality of IHSDM and the IHSDM research and development program at the main IHSDM technology web site.