Interactive Highway Safety Design Model (IHSDM)
Welcome to the Interactive Highway Safety Design Model (IHSDM) software download web site.
NEW: IHSDM 2019 Release
The IHSDM 2019 Release (version 15.0.0; October 31, 2019) is now available! Major enhancements include the following:
• Roundabout Crash Prediction Method – the 2019 Release includes new crash prediction methods for Roundabouts, which were developed under NCHRP project 17-70 and documented in NCHRP Research Report 888 (Development of Roundabout Crash Prediction Models and Methods).
• User-Defined Crash Modification Factors (CMFs) - the capability for users to define and apply User-Defined CMFs is now available as part of the crash prediction process
Through this site you can complete the required registration process and, upon approval, download IHSDM. (Existing registered users, follow the “Download Login” link to access this update. New users, click on the “Download Registration” link.)
The IHSDM - HSM Predictive Method 2019 Release includes six evaluation modules: Crash Prediction, Policy Review, Design Consistency, Traffic Analysis, Driver/Vehicle and Intersection Review. To the extent possible, the Crash Prediction Module (CPM) faithfully implements Part C (Predictive Method) of AASHTO's 1st Edition Highway Safety Manual for evaluating rural 2-lane highways, rural multilane highways, and urban/suburban arterials, as well as HSM 2014 Supplement materials on freeway segments and freeway ramps/interchanges. For more information on IHSDM, visit FHWA's general IHSDM website and view the Every Day Counts (EDC) flyer describing IHSDM and how it supports FHWA's Data-Driven Safety Analysis (DDSA) initiative.
See Release Notes for the IHSDM 2019 Release for more details on enhancements. Please note: The IHSDM 2019 Release can be installed over 2011 and later versions of IHSDM.
IHSDM 2019 Webinar
FHWA hosted a webinar on November 7 to introduce the upcoming IHSDM 2019 Release. Visit the IHSDM 2019 Web Conference page to access a recording of the webinar and the presentation slides.
IHSDM User Group
FHWA is very pleased to announce the establishment of an IHSDM User Group. A User Group web meeting was held on June 5. Visit the IHSDM User Group page to access a recording of the meeting.
Web Site Content
The web site is organized into the following pages:
- IHSDM User Group - Information regarding the IHSDM User Group
- Current Events - Notices of new software releases, training, and major updates to this web site.
- Web Conferences - IHSDM-related web conferences
- User Applications - Summaries of selected IHSDM user applications
- Obtaining IHSDM - Overview of obtaining and installing IHSDM.
- Download Registration - The steps and online form needed to register to download the software.
- Download Login - Download login page.
- Highway Data - Samples and sources of data required by IHSDM.
- Software Testing Feedback - The types of input the FHWA is seeking from users.
- Technical Support - Support options and mechanisms available for IHSDM.
- Frequently Asked Questions - a list of frequently asked questions related to the IHSDM software.
- Credits - The sponsors and developers of the IHSDM software.
- External Links - Links to other web sites of interest to IHSDM users.
You can learn more about the functionality of IHSDM and the IHSDM research and development program at the main IHSDM technology web site.