Interactive Highway Safety Design Model (IHSDM)
Welcome to the Interactive Highway Safety Design Model (IHSDM) software download web site.
The IHSDM - HSM Predictive Method 2014 Release Update (version 10.1.0; March 4, 2015) is now available free-of-charge. In addition to existing crash prediction capabilities which implement Highway Safety Manual (HSM) Part C predictive methods, the 2014 Release Update contains further enhancements to the Freeway Ramps/Interchanges Crash Prediction Method, including:
- Interchange-level Evaluations. All ramps, C-D roads and ramp terminals associated with an Interchange can now be evaluated with a single Evaluation.
- Empirical-Bayes (EB) Analysis is now functional for Freeway Ramp Terminals, for both station-based and site-based analyses.
- Breakdowns of expected crashes by severity level and crash type were added to “site-based” analysis Evaluation Reports.
See Release Notes for the IHSDM 2014 Release Update for more details on enhancements. Please note: The IHSDM 2014 Release Update can be installed over 2011 and later versions of IHSDM.
Through this site you can complete the required registration process and, upon approval, download IHSDM. (Existing registered users, follow the “Download Login” link to access this update. New users, click on the “Download Registration” link.)
The IHSDM - HSM Predictive Method 2014 Release Update includes six evaluation modules: Crash Prediction, Policy Review, Design Consistency, Traffic Analysis, Driver/Vehicle and Intersection Review. To the extent possible, the Crash Prediction Module (CPM) faithfully implements Part C (Predictive Method) of AASHTO's 1st Edition Highway Safety Manual (June 2010) for evaluating rural 2-lane highways, rural multilane highways,and urban/suburban arterials, as well as HSM 2014 Supplement materials on freeway segments and freeway ramps/interchanges. For more information on IHSDM, visit FHWA's general IHSDM website.
On October 2, 2014 FHWA hosted a web conference on the IHSDM - HSM Predictive Method 2014 Release. A recording of the web conference and a pdf file of the presentation slides are posted to the IHSDM 2014 Web Conference page.
The web site is organized into the following pages:
- Current Events - Notices of new software releases, training, and major updates to this web site.
- Web Conferences - IHSDM-related web conferences
- User Applications - Summaries of selected IHSDM user applications
- Obtaining IHSDM - Overview of obtaining and installing IHSDM.
- Download Registration - The steps and online form needed to register to download the software.
- Download Login - Download login page.
- Highway Data - Samples and sources of data required by IHSDM.
- Software Testing Feedback - The types of input the FHWA is seeking from users.
- Technical Support - Support options and mechanisms available for IHSDM.
- Frequently Asked Questions - a list of frequently asked questions related to the IHSDM software.
- Credits - The sponsors and developers of the IHSDM software.
- External Links - Links to other web sites of interest to IHSDM users.
You can learn more about the functionality of IHSDM and the IHSDM research and development program at the main IHSDM technology web site.