Welcome to the Interactive Highway Safety Design Model (IHSDM) software download web site.
An Update to the IHSDM - HSM Predictive Method 2012 Release (version 8.1.0; February 14, 2013) is now available free-of-charge. The 2012 Release Update includes a "Calibrate Using Site Data" option for calculating Freeway Segment Calibration Factors, which are then used in IHSDM Crash Prediction Module evaluations. An IHSDM Calibration Utility has been available for other facility types (rural 2-lane and rural multilane highways, and urban/suburban arterials) via the IHSDM Administration Tool since 2011, to assist agencies in implementing the calibration procedures described in the Appendix to Part C of AASHTO’s Highway Safety Manual (HSM).
The IHSDM 2012 Release includes a Beta version of crash prediction capabilities for mainline freeway segments based on draft HSM materials developed under NCHRP Project 17-45; and a new site-based data input and analysis capability for crash prediction that provides users with more flexibility in how data are entered.
Through this site you can complete the required registration process and, upon approval, download IHSDM. (Existing registered users, follow the “Download Login” link to access this update. New users, click on the “Download Registration” link.)
The IHSDM - HSM Predictive Method 2012 Release includes six evaluation modules: Crash Prediction, Policy Review, Design Consistency, Traffic Analysis, Driver/Vehicle and Intersection Review. To the extent possible, the Crash Prediction Module (CPM) faithfully implements Part C (Predictive Method) of AASHTO's 1st Edition Highway Safety Manual (June 2010) for evaluating rural 2-lane highways, rural multilane highways,urban/suburban arterials and freeways. For more information on IHSDM, visit FHWA's general IHSDM website.
The web site is organized into the following pages:
- Current Events - Notices of new software releases, training, and major updates to this web site.
- Web Conferences - IHSDM-related web conferences
- User Applications - Summaries of selected IHSDM user applications
- Obtaining IHSDM - Overview of obtaining and installing IHSDM.
- Download Registration - The steps and online form needed to register to download the software.
- Download Login - Download login page.
- Highway Data - Samples and sources of data required by IHSDM.
- Software Testing Feedback - The types of input the FHWA is seeking from users.
- Technical Support - Support options and mechanisms available for IHSDM.
- Frequently Asked Questions - a list of frequently asked questions related to the IHSDM software.
- Credits - The sponsors and developers of the IHSDM software.
- External Links - Links to other web sites of interest to IHSDM users.
You can learn more about the functionality of IHSDM and the IHSDM research and development program at the main IHSDM technology web site.