Interactive Highway Safety Design Model (IHSDM)
Welcome to the Interactive Highway Safety Design Model (IHSDM) software download web site.
IHSDM User Group
FHWA is very pleased to announce the establishment of an IHSDM User Group. The next User Group web meeting will be held on Wednesday June 5, from 1:00 to 2:30 pm Eastern. Visit the IHSDM User Group page for information on how to register for the meeting.
NEW: IHSDM 2018 Release Update
The IHSDM - HSM Predictive Method 2018 Release Update (version 14.1.0; March 12, 2019) is now available, free-of-charge. Major enhancements include:
- Crash Prediction Module (CPM) Evaluation Reports for Site-Based Data: “Crash Frequencies and Rates by Site” tables were expanded to include crash frequencies for Total, FI, and PDO crashes. "Crash Frequencies by Year” (for Total, FI, and PDO crashes) tables were added. For evaluations using the Empirical-Bayes (EB) process, Expected, Predicted, and (Expected – Predicted) Crash Frequencies are now provided for each site; a summary table comparing predicted and expected crashes for the evaluation period was also added.
- CPM Evaluation Reports for Location-Based Data: Ramp Terminals are now included in Evaluations of cross-roads, similar to Intersections.
- IHSDM Economic Analyses Tool (EA Tool): EA Tool capabilities were extended to allow the selection of Site Set Evaluations. Previously, only Evaluations of Location-Based Highways/Intersections/Ramp Terminals could be selected in the EA Tool. The EA Tool allows users to conduct economic analyses within IHSDM, using Crash Prediction Module evaluation results (crash frequencies and severities). IHSDM Economic Analyses Tool Help and an IHSDM Economic Analyses Tool Tutorial Lesson are available to help you get started.
- CPM: Added the capability to evaluate a Ramp without establishing Ramp Connections to a Freeway, C-D Road, or other Ramp.
See Release Notes for the IHSDM 2018 Release Update for more details on enhancements. Please note: The IHSDM 2018 Release Update can be installed over 2011 and later versions of IHSDM.
Through this site you can complete the required registration process and, upon approval, download IHSDM. (Existing registered users, follow the “Download Login” link to access this update. New users, click on the “Download Registration” link.)
The IHSDM - HSM Predictive Method 2018 Release Update includes six evaluation modules: Crash Prediction, Policy Review, Design Consistency, Traffic Analysis, Driver/Vehicle and Intersection Review. To the extent possible, the Crash Prediction Module (CPM) faithfully implements Part C (Predictive Method) of AASHTO's 1st Edition Highway Safety Manual for evaluating rural 2-lane highways, rural multilane highways, and urban/suburban arterials, as well as HSM 2014 Supplement materials on freeway segments and freeway ramps/interchanges. For more information on IHSDM, visit FHWA's general IHSDM website and view the Every Day Counts (EDC) flyer describing IHSDM and how it supports FHWA's Data-Driven Safety Analysis (DDSA) initiative.
Web Site Content
The web site is organized into the following pages:
- IHSDM User Group - Information regarding the IHSDM User Group
- Current Events - Notices of new software releases, training, and major updates to this web site.
- Web Conferences - IHSDM-related web conferences
- User Applications - Summaries of selected IHSDM user applications
- Obtaining IHSDM - Overview of obtaining and installing IHSDM.
- Download Registration - The steps and online form needed to register to download the software.
- Download Login - Download login page.
- Highway Data - Samples and sources of data required by IHSDM.
- Software Testing Feedback - The types of input the FHWA is seeking from users.
- Technical Support - Support options and mechanisms available for IHSDM.
- Frequently Asked Questions - a list of frequently asked questions related to the IHSDM software.
- Credits - The sponsors and developers of the IHSDM software.
- External Links - Links to other web sites of interest to IHSDM users.
You can learn more about the functionality of IHSDM and the IHSDM research and development program at the main IHSDM technology web site.